Tuesday 14 November 2017

Glenmere Primary School Visit



Scarlett`s drawing and description of Matilda. 

I visited Mr Mattews (Kieran) class (Year 3) Glenmere Primary School in Wigston Leicester.The class has 27 children aged between 7 and 8 years of age. It was a Friday afternoon session and the children responded well to being read to. We had a lively classroom discussion about pets, moving schools and friendships. I am always amazed by how honest children are and how eager they are to get creative.
This time I suggested that they think of their favourite book characters, or make up their own book characters or they could use Hollie and Figgs. 
Above is Scarlett`s drawing of a very famous book character Matilda by Roald Dahl. This is one of my favourites as well. In fact, a few children decided to draw Matilda. So as a book character she is obviously quite popular. Other popular characters included Willie Wonker (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) by Roald Dahl,  Harry Potter by JK Rowling, The BFG again by Roald Dhal and The Twits again by Roald Dhal. I think this class are big Roald Dhal fans :) Other children drew their own characters. I shall describe some of them besides their work.
I felt very honoured to see that one child drew a character from the new book Hollie and Figgs: The Missing Rainbow which will be released in December this year. It was one of the Polygrogs. Sound evil? Well, they are, just a bit ;) 
Another child drew Figgs who she described as the `best cat ever.` I love this :) 

Here are the children`s creations. 


My very own Figgs top right. Aaron created a Cat Saver inspired by his grandmother who saved a cat.
Rhys has created a colourful picture of Danny.


My favourite Hermione from Harry Potter top left drawn so beautifully. The Twits next to it. I love the detail in the drawing.
Jessica has drawn Matilda bottom left.

I spy with my little eye the BFG bottom right by Ava. She has also drawn Matilda bottom left. Willie Wonka again top left by Samuel and then Alfie's story writing top right.

Bottom right is a famous mythical creature from Harry Potter, Dobbie.
Rayhan has drawn Willie Wonka top left.(How popular is he?)

Sienna has drawn Hollie and her pet dog with an evil fox. Bottom right are characters called the Fox Busters. 

I spy Harry Potter top left. Isla has drawn characters called Sofie and the Pets. Another Willie Wonka bottom left and then Scarlett's Matilda with her beautiful handwriting.


Look at that amazing cat face in drawing 1 by Nyla. Then we have the Polygrog from the second Hollie and Figgs book. Aaron`s drawing is on the bottom left and then there are characters made from food, pizza, carrot, and a lollipop.
I wanted to say a big thank you to Kieran, (Mr Matthews) for inviting me to share my storybook with your amazing class of talented children. I really enjoyed my time and am proud of what the children created. 



Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hollie and Figgs | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig
>