Monday 20 May 2019

INTERVIEW WITH CHILDREN'S AUTHOR JOSIE DOM



Josie is a children’s author from Halstead in the UK. She has been a support throughout my writing journey and I asked her if she would like to be interviewed about her own writing journey and her children’s story-book series in the making –Lum.
Lum is a book character in a children's picture book. It is aimed at children aged 0-7years and  contains life-lessons and morals. For example anti-bullying and learning to cope with fears.

1.      What made you decide to write a children’s story-book?

When my children were little, I found myself making up rhymes and stories for them.  I read a lot of books with them, because we all loved story-time together, and found myself thinking maybe I could do this too.

2.      What is your background? And did this influence your writing journey?

My working background has not influenced my journey.  I have always worked in office-based roles – administrator, PA, Office Manager, although knowledge of computer software and the ability to type does help.  Going back further to my own childhood, I was a writer then but never imagined (or I think even understood) that children could grow up to write books.  My background as a Mum has been more of an influence because it has opened me up to the world of children’s books again.

3.      I see you are self-published. What made you decide to be self-published?

After writing a number of stories, I wrote Lum and this was the story that I felt was ready to become a book.  With that in mind, I researched publishers and sent my manuscript off to a number of them.  After getting a few negative replies and quite a few didn’t respond at all, I continued to research the publishing world.  Which is when I came across self-publishing as a concept.  Self-publishing was becoming more widely accepted.  I also discovered that traditional publishing companies did not work with unknown authors on the marketing and therefore all of that side of things would be my responsibility whether I self-published or was published traditionally.  That was the clincher for me and I plunged in!

4.      Did you think about approaching an agent? Going to a traditional publisher?

I did think about going to a traditional publisher, but I did not have the confidence or understanding to find an agent.

5.      What has your self-publishing journey been like?

It has been a learning journey.  When I published my first book, Lum, I did everything myself including the layout of the book using Adobe InDesign.  Although I managed it and a book was produced, I was ready to tear my hair out!  When it came to publishing my second book, Lum’s Mum, I found Matador who although more expensive took on all the tasks I had not enjoyed the first time around and that made the whole undertaking much more enjoyable.  I also took the opportunity to publish the second edition of Lum through them at the same time.


6.      Is there anything you would change about your writing journey?

I don’t think I would change anything about the journey, but if I could go back in time I would give myself greater confidence so that the journey was more enjoyable.  Lack of confidence in my writing and marketing abilities has held me back.

7.      What has been the best part?

There have been a few wonderful highs: being named as a SmallBiz100 in 2018; being selected as a winner in the Fenwick/Colbea competition and then this year having the opportunity to have a pop-up shop as a children’s author in Fenwick for one week; running a workshop and hosting a story-time at the Essex Book Festival this year.

There have also been lots of little wins as I went along: seeing my stories in book format; going into schools to read my stories to children; having cuddly toys made to accompany the books.

8.      What has been the worst part, if any?

The need for continual marketing!  And the nerves!

9.      How do you find the marketing and promoting part of being a self-published author?

Marketing can be hit and miss!  It’s something I’m still working on. If something doesn’t work then I’ll try something else. I use Facebook, Instagram and LinkdIn. I contact schools directly, send out press releases and look out for local gigs, festivals, book fairs etc. I see it as a work-in-progress.

10.  Where did you get your inspiration from for your Lum story-book?

Lum started as a rhyme to encourage my children to clean their teeth instead of larking around in the bathroom.  After I’d said the rhyme, and we’d all laughed and actually done the job in hand, I wrote it down with the thought that there was “a story in there somewhere” (which is a catchphrase of mine).  The next day I woke early with the story in my head and rushed downstairs to find pen and paper to write it out.  As I wrote it, the story changed a little and Lum redeems himself instead of being chased away.


11.  How did you come up with the name Lum?

The original rhyme had Mum in it, and I needed to change Mum to a character for my story, so literally just found a name that rhymed.  I did check to see if it was an obscure word but couldn’t find anything.  Just recently I separately met two Scottish ladies whom both informed me that Lum means chimney in Scotland.

12.  The story contains morals, how important has this been for you to include? And why?

I think at the time that I wrote the story and the ending changed, it was subconsciously important to me that Lum the bully could improve his ways.  However, I did not set out to write a story containing morals, and I think that is better as otherwise children feel preached to and no-one likes that.  This way, the story is enjoyable and if you look a little deeper you will learn a valuable life lesson.

13.  I see that you visit schools to share your book. How are you getting on with this? Any special moments you would like to share?

The actual visits are always a joy!  Special moments have been seeing the excitement the children have when meeting a real author; getting spontaneous hugs from children who have enjoyed hearing my stories.  I like to add a little extra to my visits by getting the children involved in creating art or crafts based on the stories and instigating a Lum treasure hunt with stickers as a reward for every child.

14.  Have you got any advice for anyone wanting to get their story-book published?

Do not underestimate the amount of time you will need to market yourself and your book.  If possible, get some feedback from readers in your target age-group.

15.  Are you working on any new books?

I have approximately 10 stories written and waiting in the wings for illustrations and then publication!  My next book will (hopefully) be Brave Brian about a boy who finds a rhino in his local park and returns it to Africa.  I will return to Lum stories again as there will be seven stories in his series.  I have written two and a half of those.  Aside from that, I am always thinking of and writing new stories.  Whether any of them will become books is another matter, but I enjoy the writing of them.

16.  What are your future plans?

World domination!  Haha!  Seriously though, I would just like my books to reach a wider audience and my plans involve making that happen:  lots of marketing, lots of school visits, going out to meet people and, of course, lots of writing.

I would like to say thank you to Josie for her honest answers to my questions. I hope you find them as interesting as I have. Isn’t it great to read how other authors have approached their writing journey? It all helps to inspire others on their own journey. Let me know in the comments if you have been inspired by Josie’s interview.

I wish Josie well in her future writing and for her Lum series of children’s books.
Josie’s social media links and contact details.

Facebook: @JosieDomAuthor      www.facebook.com/josiedomauthor
Instagram: @JosieDomAuthor     www.instagram.com/josiedomauthor

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Hollie and Figgs | All rights reserved.
Blog Layout Created by pipdig
>